Cementos Lima and Cemento Andino are recognized for their long history in the business, with a backgorund that makes UNACEM S.A.A. one of the most reliable companies in the construction sector.
It all began on July 6, 1916, when Peru's first cement company was founded: Compañía Peruana de Cemento Pórtland S.A., the predecessor of Cementos Lima S.A. Its first factory (1924), known as “Maravillas,” was located near the Presbítero Maestro cemetery in Lima. At that time, the raw material was transported from the quarries at Atocongo. This was the first step in replacing imports and developing our own industry.
In 1956, the world’s highest cement factory was built: Cemento Andino S.A., located in Tarma at 4,000 meters above sea level, next to the Carpapata hydropower plant.
1963 saw the commissioning of Kiln II at Condorcocha plant, the first kiln in the America to use the dry heat exchange process.
On December 28, 1967, Compañía Peruana de Cemento Pórtland S.A. changed its name to Cementos Lima. It acquired a kiln, mills, and other equipment using the latest technology, becoming the largest plant in the world at that time, with a single kiln producing 3,000 metric tons a day (MT/day).
Cementos Lima S.A. and Cemento Andino S.A. went through very hard times, with their expropriation by the military government. In spite of this, control and 51% of the shares in both companies were returned to their owners six years later, although they were both in very poor condition by that point.
In 1987, work began on refurbishing and expanding Kiln III at Condorcocha plant, “the first kiln in Peru with twin heat exchangers and precalcinator, developed by ARPL Tecnología Industrial.”
In 1989, Conchán Pier in the district of Lurin was opened up in order to ship products to markets such as the United States, Chile, and Panama, with exports of up to one million tons a year. This same year, Tarma fell victim to the actions of the Shining Path, seriously affecting Carpapata and damaging the hydroelectric plant that provides power to Tarma and the valley of La Merced.
The merger in 1996 between Peru's two leading premixed concrete companies, COPRESA (founded in 1956) and backed by Cementos Lima S.A. and Cemento Andino S.A. created a new company: Unión de Concreteras S.A. trading as UNICON.
1998Between 1998 and 1999, Stage II of the expansion of the Atocongo plant in Lima was undertaken, tripling the production of cement and incorporating the latest technology and modern particle capture systems.
2000In 2000, ARPL Tecnología Industrial performed the repair, upgrading, and expansion of Kiln II at Condorcocha plant, making it "the first to operate with an in-line heat exchanger and calciner”.
2002After the relevant environmental impact assessment had been approved, construction began on an 8.2 km long underground conveyor belt designed as an environmentally efficient means of carrying bulk materials and cement from Atocongo plant in Villa María del Triunfo, Lima, to Conchán Pier in Lurín. The project included the construction of new roads, footpaths, bus stops, and parks, thus improving these parts of Villa María del Triunfo and Villa El Salvador.
Asociación Atocongo (now Asociación UNACEM), the social responsibility arm of UNACEM, was created to bring the company closer to the community, working together for self-development. At the same time, Condorcocha plant began implementing community development programs in Tarma.
In 2005, construction started on a railroad to link highland communities with the coast, and to connect the Condorcocha plant with the port of Callao and the cities of Huancayo and Cerro de Pasco.
We began using natural gas at Atocongo plant in Lima, partially replacing coal as a source of power. This project made us Peru's leading issuer of carbon credits, reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the production process by more than 25%. Cementos Lima formed a partnership with Spain's Grupo Prainsa in 2007 to create “Preansa,” a company engaged in the construction and erection of concrete structures for a wide variety of building projects.
In order to forge efficient and durable commercial relationships, the Progresol hardware store network was established in June 2008, consisting of 120 enterprising sub-distributors. The network now includes more than 280 points of sale.
El Platanal hydropower plant was opened in 2010 in the Cañete River Basin . Cementos Lima and Cemento Andino are shareholders in this venture. In response to increasing construction activity—led by the self-build segment—we launched Hatunsol in March 2010 to provide financing for the construction materials and labor required for this activity. The benefits offered by Hatunsol also include professional advice on construction techniques.
In 2011 saw the inauguration of the Drake Cement plant in Yavapai County, Arizona, USA, with a production capacity of approximately 600,000 tons of clínker and 624,000 tons of cement per year. In July 2011, UNICON acquired 100% of the shares in Firth Industries Perú S.A., one of the main suppliers of concrete and aggregate solutions to the housing, mining, and infrastructure sectors in Perú.
Cementos Lima and Cemento Andino merged to create Unión Andina de Cementos (UNACEM) and Asociación UNACEM (formerly Asociación Atocongo), aligning the company's vision and objectives.
It was launched Cement APU, GU type Portland cement . APU is the only cement at national and regional level with white bag . The bag contains 4 ply : 3 paper (2 brown and one white ) and 1 plastic film. Its makes the moisture proof bag and better preserves the product.
UNACEM and its subsidiaries were rated BB + by International Risk Standard & Poors and Ba2 by Moody's. Additionally, UNACEM placed 625 million dollars issuance in corporate international bonds consolidating the company in the International market. On November, UNACEM purchased 98.57 % of Lafarge Cement Ecuador’ shares.
A new mill and bagging line have been added to the Condorcocha plant, expanding UNACEM’s installed capacity to 8.3 million tons of cement per year. Additionally, Cemento Andino, the premium brand of UNACEM’s portfolio, has revamped its packaging.